Original file (3,193 × 1,744 pixels, file size: 50 KB, MIME type: image/png)

Summary

Description
English: "Made between late 1850 and early 1851, this flag was constructed like a patchwork quilt. Edward H. Williams, a tailor, and Eliza Benson, a milliner, left Great Salt Lake City in December of 1850 as part of the George A. Smith party traveling to settle near what is now Parowan, Utah. Williams and Benson gathered scraps of cloth form members of the party to make a flag. They died the cloth using vegetable dies and sewed the pieces together in the evenings to produce a red, white and blue Stars and Stripes flag measuring about twenty-one by forty-four inches.

When Williams moved north to Salt Creek, near present day Nephi, he took the flag with him. There it was used by the local militia and in parades during the last half of the 19th Century.

Around 1950 it was borrowed for display and washed as it was thought dusty and dirty. Much of the color washed out or migrated to the fly end of the flag when it was hung by the hoist to dry. It has since been mounted in a frame and is on display in the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers' Museum in Nephi, Utah." -(https://www.loeser.us/flags/utah.html)
Date 1/27/25
Source Own work
Author Tablelegs6

Licensing

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby publish it under the following license:
Creative Commons CC-Zero This file is made available under the Creative Commons CC0 1.0 Universal Public Domain Dedication.
The person who associated a work with this deed has dedicated the work to the public domain by waiving all of their rights to the work worldwide under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights, to the extent allowed by law. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.

Captions

remake of the flag carried by settlers to Nephi c1850-1851

Items portrayed in this file

depicts

flag

Utah

creator

some value

author name string: Tablelegs6
Wikimedia username: Tablelegs6

copyright status

copyrighted, dedicated to the public domain by copyright holder

copyright license

Creative Commons CC0 License

inception

27 January 25 CE

source of file

original creation by uploader

File history

Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.

Date/TimeThumbnailDimensionsUserComment
current19:44, 27 January 2025Thumbnail for version as of 19:44, 27 January 20253,193 × 1,744 (50 KB)Tablelegs6Uploaded own work with UploadWizard

The following 2 pages use this file:

Metadata

No tags for this post.