James was a 48-gun second rank ship of the line of the English Royal Navy, built by Phineas Pett II at Deptford Dockyard and launched in 1634.[1]

In 1660, at the Restoration of the English monarchy, the 70-gun Richard was renamed Royal James and James became known as Old James; her armament had by this time been increased to 60 guns.[1]

Old James was sold out of the navy in 1682.[1]

Notes

  1. ^ a b c d Lavery, Ships of the Line, vol. 1, p. 158.

References


No tags for this post.