The All Saints School is a historic private school in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. William Hobart Hare, the first Episcopal bishop of South Dakota, founded the school to serve as a girls' boarding school for the children of Episcopal missionaries. The school's main building, a four-story granite Prairie Gothic structure with a distinctive bell tower, was built in 1884. A cupola sits atop the building's front entrance; Hare's personal quarters was near the cupola, and he was known to watch the city from the cupola in the evening. A 1+1⁄2-story chapel is located on the west side of the main building.[2]
The school's main building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.[1] It is also part of the All Saints Historic District.
References
- ^ a b "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. March 13, 2009.
- ^ Best, Mrs. Robert W. (February 22, 1972). "National Register of Historic Places Inventory - Nomination Form: All Saints School - Main Building". National Park Service. Retrieved October 26, 2014. Accompanied by photos.
You must be logged in to post a comment.