Draft:Tyumen case of anti-fascists
| Date | August 30, 2022 |
|---|---|
| Location | Tyumen, Surgut, Yekaterinburg |
| Cause |
|
| Accused |
|
Tyumen case of anti-fascists is criminal proceedings against six persons in three cities of Ural and Siberia of Russia, Tyumen, Yekaterinburg and Surgut[1]. According to the prosecution, the accused were involved in «destructive activities», «hated the political regime» and were preparing to «overthrow the political system».
Arrests of the accused
In the evening of 30th of August 2022 in the forest surroundings of Tyumen, police arrested Deniz Aidyn and Kirill Brik. According to the police, the two were planning to experiment with a self-made explosive in an area without people. After the arrest, Aydyn and Brik were taken to police building, where they were tortured in order to force a confession out of them. According to the prosecution, they were planning to blow up buildings of the FSB and railways. In the evening of August 31st in Yekaterinburg, Danil Chertykov and Yuri Neznamov were arrested in Yekaterinburg, and Nikita Oleynik was arrested in Surgut. Roman Paklin was arrested in his workplace in Surgut on the 1st of September. After their homes were searched, they were sent to Tyumen.
In beginning of September, the arrested were put in the remand prison number 1 of Tyumen. Nikita Oleynik, Danil Chertykov, Yuri Neznamov and Roman Paklin were accused according to statute 205.4 of the criminal codex of the Russian federation, «Organization of a terrorist community and participation to it». Kirill Brik and Deniz Aidyn were accused according to part 2 of the 223.1 of the Russian criminal codex, «preparation and possession of a self-made explosives». In July of 2023, Brik and Aidyn were also accused according to statute 205.4 of the Russian criminal codex.
Tortures reported
After the arrest, all of the accused said they had been tortured during arrest and investigation[2]. Their lawyers have sent complains to the Investigative committee due to the fact of violence being used against the co-defendants, but investigation committee has refused to start a criminal investigations against those officials who were participating in the torturing.
Course of the investigation
Aidyn, Brik, Chertykov, Neznamov, Oleynik and Paklin are accused according to «Organizing a terrorist community and participation to it» (Statute 205.4 of the Russian criminal codex). According to the investigation, Nikita Oleynik is the organizer of the terrorist society.
In end of the July 2023, all the arrested were additionally charged with «preparing of terrorist activities (statute 205, 2nd part and statute 30, 1 part of the Russian criminal codex). Deniz Aidyn and Kirill Brik are also accused of «Preparation and possession of explosives» (Statute 223.1 of the Russian criminal codex)[3].
Besides this, Aidyn is accused of «Armed hooliganism» (Statute 213.2 of Russian criminal codex). One month before his arrest, he was in a conflict during which he had to defend himself against several attackers. This case is combined with the general investigation.
All the accused were offered a plea bargain[4]. Aidyn, Chertykov, Neznamov, Oleynik and Paklin refused.
In January 2023, Kirill Brik dropped contact with his friends. On the 27th of February 2023 he refused services from a lawyer that was provided by the support campaign. On the 24th of May in a court session about continuation of remand imprisonment, a new lawyer provided by his relatives said that Kirill Brik is pleading guilty[5]. Later on it became known that under pressure Kirill Brik had signed a plea bargain.
Trial and sentences
On 6 June 2024, the Central District Military Court of Yekaterinburg began hearings in the case against four of the six defendants: Deniz Aydyn, Yuri Neznamov, Danil Chertykov, and Nikita Oleinik[6]. The prosecutor was Ilya Sokolov, who had also served as prosecutor in the Azat Miftakhov case.
Over the course of a year, 25 court sessions were held, during which the prosecution presented its evidence. The defense continues to insist that the defendants were subjected to physical and psychological abuse during detention, reminding the court of repeated complaints about torture. In addition to allegations of torture, defense lawyers drew attention to numerous procedural violations committed during investigative actions and expert examinations[7].
The case of Roman Paklin was separated into a different proceeding. In 2023, he was twice sent for psychiatric evaluation, and in 2024 he was declared legally incapacitated after being diagnosed with a schizophrenia-like disorder. The consideration of Paklin’s case was resumed in February 2024 after a course of treatment[8].
On 17 May 2024, the Central District Military Court of Yekaterinburg sentenced Kirill Brik to eight years of imprisonment and a fine of six hundred thousand rubles[9].
On 25 October 2024, the Vanguard of the People's Will (the community whose participation is attributed to the defendants) was recognized as a terrorist organization[10]. On 17 March 2025, the defendants in the Tyumen case were added to the list of terrorists and extremists[11].
Personal lives of the accused, activities before imprisonment.
In March of 2021 Roman Paklin (born 1997) and Nikita Oleynik (born 1995) established a social libertarian library «Petrel» in Surgut. The library gathered literature on anarchism, philosophy and feminism. Deniz Aidyn (born 1999) and Kirill Brik (born 1998) were actively participating in creative projects, and developing the anti-fascist scene in Tyumen, as part of several musical collectives. Danil Chertykov (born 1994) and Yuri Neznamov (born 1995) were living in Yekaterinburg during the arrest. Chertykov was working as a veterinarian, and was playing in bands. Neznamov was working in 3D-modelling.
See also
References
- ^ BBC News Русская служба. ""Давай освежать твою память". Что известно о новом деле о терроризме против антифашистов в Тюмени". BBC News Русская Служба.
- ^ Новая газета. "На Урале шестерых антифашистов из разных городов арестовали по делу о терроризме. Они сообщают о пытках".
- ^ DOXA (26 July 2023). "Фигурантам «тюменского дела» предъявили новое обвинение в «приготовлении к теракту»".
- ^ 86.ru (28 February 2023). "Фигурантам «Тюменского дела» из Югры предлагают сделку со следствием. Что это значит?".
{{cite web}}: CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link) - ^ DOXA. "Фигурант «тюменского дела» Кирилл Брик признал вину".
- ^ "В Екатеринбурге начали разбирать «Тюменское дело» по существу". Sota Vision (in Russian). Retrieved 2025-06-15.
- ^ "Предварительные итоги судебного разбирательства по «тюменскому делу»". Avtonom.org (in Russian). Retrieved 2025-06-16.
- ^ "Фигуранту «тюменского дела» Роману Паклину предъявили обвинение по четырем статьям". ОВД-Инфо (in Russian). Retrieved 2025-06-16.
- ^ "Суд вынес первый приговор по «тюменскому делу». Кириллу Брику, заключившему сделку со следствием, дали восемь лет лишения свободы". Meduza (in Russian). Retrieved 2024-07-12.
- ^ "«Авангард Народной Воли» признали террористической организацией". ОВД-Инфо (in Russian). Retrieved 2025-06-16.
- ^ "Фигурантов «тюменского дела» внесли в список террористов и экстремистов". URA.RU (in Russian). Retrieved 2025-06-16.
Category:Anarchism in Russia Category:Criminal cases in Russia Category:Human rights abuses in Russia Category:Political repression in Russia Category:Russian_political_prisoners Category:Trials in Russia