The South Australian Railways 400 class comprised ten 4-8-2+2-8-4 articulated steam locomotives built in France in 1952 and 1953 under licence to Beyer, Peacock & Co. Ltd, Manchester, UK. The locomotives mainly hauled ore on the 1067 mm (3 ft 6 in) narrow-gauge line from the New South Wales/South Australia border to smelters at Port Pirie until 1963, when they were replaced by diesel locomotives. They also operated on the line to the break-of-gauge station at Terowie. Some locomotives were returned to service in 1969 while narrow gauge diesel locomotives were converted to 4 ft 8+12 in (1,435 mm) standard gauge. Subsequently some were stored at Peterborough before being scrapped.[1]

Two have been preserved, in static condition:

Notes

References

  1. ^ "3801 A Legend in Steam". YouTube. 15 July 2015.
  2. ^ "Steam locomotives". Zig Zag Railway. Zig Zag Railway Co-op Ltd. 2019. Retrieved 29 December 2019.
  3. ^ "Locomotive 409". National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide.

Select bibliography

  • Durrant, A.E. (1987), Garratt locomotives of the world, Bracken Books, ISBN 1-85170-141-9
  • Smith, J.D.H. (2009). "South Australian Railways steam locomotives".
  • Oberg, Leon (2007), Locomotives of Australia: 1850s–2007, Rosenberg Publishing, pp. 271–272, ISBN 978-1877058547


No tags for this post.