Sussex County Courthouse and the Circle is a historic courthouse located at The Circle in Georgetown, Sussex County, Delaware. It was designed by noted Philadelphia architect William Strickland (1788–1854) and built between 1837 and 1840. It is a two-story, brick structure with a brick tower over the entrance hall. It originally featured a squat entrance tower surmounted by an undersized cupola. In 1914, the tower was enlarged and columns were added to the front. Renovations carried out in 1970 gave the building a decidedly more Georgian appearance. The Circle was laid out in 1791-1792 as a public green at the center of a baroque town plan for Georgetown. One of the first buildings constructed was the Old Sussex County Courthouse, which was moved to allow construction of the current Sussex County Courthouse.[2]
The site was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.[1]
Gallery
-
Side view
-
Fountain at the center of the Circle
References
- ^ a b "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. July 9, 2010.
- ^ Edward F. Heite (October 1972). "National Register of Historic Places Inventory/Nomination: Sussex County Courthouse and the Circle". and Accompanying two photos
External links
Media related to Sussex County Courthouse, Georgetown, Delaware at Wikimedia Commons
You must be logged in to post a comment.