Holy Trinity Church is an Anglican church in Gisborne Road, in the town of Bacchus Marsh, Victoria. The church was established in 1851.
History
Historical information board in memorial garden
Pre 1849 - Bacchus Marsh was probably served by itinerant preachers from around 1847.[1]
1849 - first Baptism performed in January by first clergy Rev. William Hall
1851 - prefabricated iron church erected. Amongst the first parishes in Victoria, the land was donated by William Bacchus, son of Captain W H Bacchus after whom Bacchus Marsh is named.
1861 - Iron church building consecrated
1857 - School established on site of current hall
1868 - Andrew Scott (later to become bushranger "Captain Moonlite") attended as lay reader.
1876 - Foundation Stone Laid
1877 - Current Sandstone (& limestone) church opened
1881 - Current church consecrated, pulpit installed
1953 - Church gates built and consecrated
1955 - Hall built as a war memorial
1971 - Memorial garden completed
References
^Osborn, Betty (1977). A history of Holy Trinity Church of England, Bacchus Marsh (2d ed., rev. and enl. ed.). Bacchus Marsh, Vic.: Bacchus Marsh & District Historical Society. ISBN 0-9599718-3-1.
You must be logged in to post a comment.