St Joseph's Church is a Roman Catholic Parish church in Lockport, Illinois, United States of America. It was built from 1860's to 1905 and was made by hand by the Parishioners in the. It is located on the corner of Jefferson St and E 5th Street.
History
Foundation
St. Joseph Parish was founded in the late 1860's when the growing German-American community in Lockport asked Bishop Duggan of Chicago for a German speaking priest. The Bishop responded by sending them Fr. Yuetting to start a parish. Since the first trustees of the parish were all named Joseph, the parish took the name of St. Joseph.
Because the first generation of parishioners was poor, they built the church with their own hands. The cornerstone of St. Joseph Church was laid in 1868. Stone for the church was cut and hauled by wagon from local quarries. The walls and tower are basically the same as when erected, but the sanctuary and sacristy were added in 1918 on the occasion of the Golden Jubilee of the parish.
Construction
The cornerstone of St. Joseph Church was laid in 1868. Stone for the church was cut and hauled by wagon from local quarries. The walls and tower are basically the same as when erected, but the sanctuary and sacristy were added in 1918 on the occasion of the Golden Jubilee of the parish.
Parish
St Josephs has masses on every day of the week with masses on Sunday and saturday at 8:00 AM, 10:00 AM, and mases at 7:30 PM on weekdays.
Interior
-
St Joseph Lockport Altar
-
The view of the entire chucrh
References
https://www.stjosephlockport.org/ https://newchurchaweek.wordpress.com/2016/05/12/st-joseph-lockport/