Riddick House, also known as Riddicks Folly, is a historic home located at Suffolk, Virginia. It was built in 1837, and is a 2+1⁄2-story, five bay by four bay, Greek Revival style brick townhouse. The front facade features a one-story diastyle Doric order portico with a triangular pediment supported by two fluted columns and two plain pilasters. It also has a one-story tetrastyle portico added across the south end in 1905. During the American Civil War, General John J. Peck and his staff maintained Union Army staff headquarters in the house.[3]
It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.[1] It is located in the Suffolk Historic District.
Riddick's Folly is open as a historic house museum.
References
- ^ a b "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. July 9, 2010.
- ^ "Virginia Landmarks Register". Virginia Department of Historic Resources. Retrieved 19 March 2013.
- ^ Virginia Historic Landmarks Commission Staff (October 1973). "National Register of Historic Places Inventory/Nomination: Riddick House" (PDF). Virginia Department of Historic Resources. and Accompanying photo
You must be logged in to post a comment.